Sunday, June 19, 2011

Powell


Last week we went to Lake Powell with the Vance clan.



It was for most of us our first time, so we had some interesting experiences learning how to beach a houseboat.  I've never been on a lake so deep before that you couldn't just throw your anchor in anywhere and chill in the middle of the lake all night. It's fun to be able to just jump from the boat to the beach and play a round of bocce ball, or make a campfire and then be able to just jump right back to the boat to sleep in a normal bed.  The water rose over a foot everyday, so we were tightening our ropes almost every 3 hours.  Thank goodness for my brother-in law Jeremy for being able to take charge and drive the boat, and tell us what we needed to do to keep anchored to the beach.
I can't believe how beautiful that lake is. All my life I've had the attitude that to find cool places like that you have to go foreign. I never realized (even living in Utah) that places existed in the US where you could explore on a jet ski and find little secret lagoons or hike into little canyons, or get into caves that are only accessible by water.  There is so much beauty on that lake, and an unlimited number of places to explore.
Dallin getting ready to show his mad skills

Britteny jumping off the roof of the boat
Weston and Sawyer watching Despicable Me while their mother's swim



Dallin jumping the campfire
We had a lot of fun. We played poker with the family, we took the jet skis all over the lake, Dallin and Brandon went wake boarding, the little nephews got to play on the beach, we had a campfire almost every night, we made s'mores and played bocce ball, we sat in the hot tub on top of the boat under the stars.  I'd definitely do Powell again. I don't know if i'd do a house boat though. It's so much work. I think i'd rather just take a speed boat and camping gear and sleep on the beach. Also i'd like to go in September next time so the water level is lower and theres even more to explore. :)

Oh yeah, and there's one more development that occurred on this trip.....




My mom and Robbie are officially engaged. The wedding is on July 22nd.

1 comment:

valerie said...

HOLY SMOLY!!!! What great news!!!!
Tell her Congratulations.